Monday, May 16, 2011

I AM the True Vine – Lesson 7

“I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser." – John 15:1

In the next verse, Jesus says, "Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit." 

About a month ago I pruned my grapefruit tree. I do it every year to stimulate blossom and new growth.  I also take time to prune away dead branches and water sprouts that draw nourishment away the fruit. And by late next fall, I should have about 250 grapefruit. So when Jesus says He is the true vine, and His Father is the vinedresser, I have a very good mind-picture of what this verse means.

We know the Jews knew the name "I AM" to be the name of God.  So incensed by what they believed to be blasphemy, they wanted to stone Jesus for saying He was equal with God. No other religious leader in history, not Moses, Buddha or Mohammed claimed what Jesus claimed for Himself – I AM!  He never retracted anything he said. He never guessed or was uncertain. He never made mistakes. He is the sinless Son of the Father.

As this series comes to a close, I hope you have been impressed with the greatness of the Book of John.  While reading it will bring great knowledge. However, knowledge of the truth is not enough. What counts is a personal relationship with the Shepherd – day-by-day.

I AM the bread of life!
I AM the light of the world!
I AM the door of the sheep!
I AM the good shepherd!
I AM the resurrection and the life!
I AM the way, the truth, and the life!
I AM the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser!

Seeking and Following,
Dean

You go nowhere by accident. Wherever you go, God is sending you, wherever you are, God has put you there; He has a purpose in your being there. Christ who dwells within you has something He wants to do through you wherever you are. Believe this and go in His grace and love and power.

No comments:

Post a Comment