Thursday, March 24, 2011

Are You a Dream Killer?




"Direct your children onto the right path, and when they are older, they will not leave it."  – Proverbs 22:6

How many parents push their kids to excel in everything but what really counts?

I sat at a meet this past weekend and heard a sad story about a promising young swimmer.  Of late the promise has faded a bit, as the swim times have just not been there.  The want and passion, necessary for success in this sport, are now hidden somewhere beneath the surface. She has told teammates that she no longer cares, that regardless of her effort, pleasing her mom would still be a distant dream. Mom, by not accepting of her daughter's accomplishments, but wanting more, is pushing a girl that is too young, to find acceptance in the arms of a boy, and away from the sport.

God, please let me always be accepting of the accomplishments of my children.  Let me teach goal setting, but let the goals be theirs. Help me find the balance between teacher, mentor and dad. See to it that I am able to walk the line between discipline and self-discovery.  And that I may I learn fatherhood from Your perfect example.

Seeking and Following,
Dean

You go nowhere by accident. Wherever you go, God is sending you, wherever you are, God has put you there; He has a purpose in your being there. Christ who dwells within you has something He wants to do through you wherever you are. Believe this and go in His grace and love and power.

No comments:

Post a Comment