Monday, April 18, 2011

Wash My Feet – Part II



He came to Simon Peter, who said to him, “Lord, are you going to wash my feet?” Jesus replied, “You do not realize now what I am doing, but later you will understand.” “No,” said Peter, “you shall never wash my feet.” Jesus answered, “Unless I wash you, you have no part with me. “Then, Lord,” Simon Peter replied, “not just my feet but my hands and my head as well!” – John 13: 6-9

In ancient times, slaves were looked upon as the lowest form of human life. And with this prejudice, Peter cannot stand the thought of Jesus doing "slave's works." By this, we know that Peter loved Jesus, but lacked humility, is prideful (better than a slave) and self-centered – all of which are at the heart of all sin. Peter completely missed the point of Jesus' act of submission and humility. Through the footwashing, Jesus revealed, that by serving one another, completely void of pride or position, we can find our way to the heart of God.


And through the footwashing, what have we learned about volunteering in our community? Helping someone on public assistance? Serving a homeless person?



Seeking and Following,
Dean

You go nowhere by accident. Wherever you go, God is sending you, wherever you are, God has put you there; He has a purpose in your being there. Christ who dwells within you has something He wants to do through you wherever you are. Believe this and go in His grace and love and power.


No comments:

Post a Comment