Sunday, April 3, 2011

The Hypocrite and the Sinner


"Two men went to the Temple to pray. One was a Pharisee, and the other was a despised tax collector. The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed this prayer: ‘I thank you, God, that I am not a sinner like everyone else. For I don’t cheat, I don’t sin, and I don’t commit adultery. I’m certainly not like that tax collector! I fast twice a week, and I give you a tenth of my income. But the tax collector stood at a distance and dared not even lift his eyes to heaven as he prayed. Instead, he beat his chest in sorrow, saying, ‘O God, be merciful to me, for I am a sinner." – Luke 18:10-13 

In the verse today, we learn that the Pharisee was unteachable, prideful, self-oriented, and lacked compassion. Some may say that he was a braggart. The tax collector in the presence of the Lord, was convicted in his heart. He knew he was a sinner, and humbled himself before God to the point where he could not lift his eyes to heaven.  He was remorseful, respectful and unpretentious. 

The tax collector displayed the kind of humility and repentance that God graces:

Luke 18:14: "I tell you, this sinner, not the Pharisee, returned home justified before God. For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”

Seeking and Following,
Dean


You go nowhere by accident. Wherever you go, God is sending you, wherever you are, God has put you there; He has a purpose in your being there. Christ who dwells within you has something He wants to do through you wherever you are. Believe this and go in His grace and love and power.

No comments:

Post a Comment